Farmington, NM - Anyone on the lookout for easy and affordable family fun should put Farmington, N.M. on a list of stops for vacation getaways. Farmington, lying in view of the San Juan Mountains, is known for its bright summer days and cool nights. It is a city with many 50+ shady parks and playgrounds, a stunning system of walking trails along the Animas River and miles of biking trails in the rolling hills and mesas around the city’s edge. Kid-oriented attractions, both indoor and outdoor are easy to find in Farmington and most of them are FREE, for example:
- The E3 Children’s Museum and Science Center with many hands-on activities for children five and under is on Orchard Avenue in a quaint historic area near the downtown center.
- The Farmington Museum & Visitor Center, is must stop for any visitor. The Visitor Center can help you plan activitites and offers information on local and regional attractions. The Farmington Museum features a variety of exhibits from regional art shows to traveling exhibits. The facility also has a gift shop with local souvenirs.
- The Riverside Nature Center in Animas Park has a beautiful wetlands area with abundant wildlife on view. Stop in for a bag of free bird seed and get to know the local flora and fauna.
- The Museum of Navajo Art & Culture is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This new museum features an astonishing collection of Navajo textiles from the early 1900's to today and is located in historic downtown Farmington.
- Berg Park on Scott Avenue runs along the Animas River and has a playground, water pad, picnic area and trails with overlooks along the riverside.
- B-Square Ranch is a 12,000 acre private wildlife refuge, working farm and ranch, and home to two museums: The Electromechanical Museum and The Fish & Wildlife Museum. It is open for free tours by appointment. Groups, small and large, are welcome. The ranch lies south of the San Juan River on the Bloomfield Highway (US-64).
- Brookside Park is a local favorite with a skateboard park, multiple play grounds, basketball and tennis courts. This park is located at the corner of Dustin and 20th Street in Farmington and will be home to a brand new waterpark in 2019.
And there’s more: bring your fishing gear to fish along the San Juan River, the Animas River, Lake Farmington, Navajo Lake or Morgan Lake. Bring mountain bikes and ATV’s to cruse through the miles of rugged trails in Glade Run Recreational Area in north Farmington off Pinon Hills Blvd. Bring kayaks or canoes to paddle along the Animas and San Juan Rivers.
Maps, directions and guides for many other fun, free or very affordable things to do are available at Farmington Museum & Visitors Center, 3041 E Main Street. The Farmington Convention and Visitors Bureau operates this visitor center and has an informative website with FREE information at www.farmingtonnm.org and offers a free vacation guide.
All Veterans Memorial Plaza
South Tucker Ave. and River Road Animas Park, Farmington, NM
All Veterans Memorial Plaza is located within Animas Park, along the Animas River. This memorial park is a place where all veterans can be honored and remembered.
1151 N. Sullivan Ave. Farmington, NM 87401
The Farmington Aquatic Center provides indoor water recreation for the whole family, year-round! Please call for current hours and services.
1701 N Dustin Ave., Farmington, NM 87401
Make a splash at this one-of-a-kind water park! With a lazy river, water slides and so much more there's something fun for all ages. The unique design of this outdoor water park pairs Farmington's unique landscapes and geology with BIG FUN!
1901 N Dustin Ave., Farmington, NM
Brookside Park offers hours of affordable family fun! This park features two playgrounds, basketball and tennis courts as well as a full skateboarding park. This park is a very popular place for Farmington families, take an afternoon and enjoy a day of fun in the sun at Brookside Park!
Durango Rivertrippers and Adventure Tours
724 Main Ave. Durango, CO 81301
This adventure tour company offers white water rafting on five Colorado rivers, inflatable kayaks, SUPs, 4x4 tours, jeep, and RZR/ATV rentals.
Farmington Pickleball Courts
4601 College Blvd. or 1101 Fairgrounds Road Farmington, New Mexico
505-566-3410 or 505-599-1184
Pickleball is quickly becoming a popular sport for all ages and Farmington offers plenty of options to help you find a court.
Fly High Farmington
1700 E 20th Street, Farmington
Indoor trampoline park with hours of fun for all ages! This family-friendly trampoline park will accommodate any beginner jumper all the way to the most seasoned and technical jumper! This park features launchpad foam pit, trampoline basketball court, trampoline sports court (dodgeball), zip lines, parkour park, ninja warrior course, airbags, and more.
Lions Wilderness Disc Golf Course
This unique 27 hole disc golf course sits amidst spectacular high desert terrain with endless views. This is a must see and play!