We have 10 special events that are sure to jolt your spring this April. This list is complete with outdoor adventures, local history, business opportunities and of course the top events for active families! Click on the event title for full details. Discover all upcoming area events when you visit the community calendar, new events are added daily!
- Curators Choice Lecture Series: Cowboys & Robots - Join the Farmington Museum on April 1st for The Birth of the Science Fiction Western: Cowboys and Robots in their continuing Curators Lecture Series. A local favorite, this lecture series has focused on the impact of the American Southwest on culture world-wide. Lecture held at the Farmington Museum from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. and is free to the public.
- Navajo Rug Auction -The Farmington Museum Foundation Benefit Navajo Rug Auction features 200+ authentic Navajo Rugs of all sizes, styles, and price ranges. Public can preview rugs April 7th, 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. and April 8th, 12:00 to 3:45 p.m. The rug auction will be held April 8th 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Speed Networking – San Juan County professionals looking to grow their business and build partnerships will meet on April 6th for Speed Networking at the San Juan Country Club, 4:30 to 8:00 p.m. Hosted by the Farmington Young Professionals and sponsored by ImageNet Consulting, this event guarantees to be as fun as it will be productive! Advanced registration required.
- AstroFriday - San Juan College Planetarium will entertain and educate audiences on Friday, April 7th with a full dome planetarium showing of “Sunstruck”, followed by a spectacular stargaze. Planetarium show offered at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. Stargaze will be held (weather permitting) at 8:30 p.m. Admission is free, seating is limited.
- Easter EGGstravaganza - This is the annual community Easter egg hunt that you absolutely do not want to miss! Come out to hunt for eggs and stay for a family-friendly day of fun at Sycamore Park on April 14th. This year's Easter EGGstravaganza fun and activities will include music, food vendors and games from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Visit the Easter Bunny, and bring your camera to get your pictures taken in one of the photo booths. Egg hunt starts at 10:00 a.m. sharp! This is a free event.
- Bisti Badlands Full Moon Hike - Ever wondered what hoodoos look like in the moonlight? Join the Farmington Museum and a hike in the Bisti Badlands during the full moon on April 11th and find out! The cost is only $5 per person and includes transportation to the Bisti / De Na-Zin Wilderness from the Farmington Museum & Visitor Center. Space is limited, early registration is required. This is an adults-only program.
- Historic Downtown Walking Tour - Join the Farmington Museum for a free walking tour of downtown Farmington for an interesting local history lesson. Learn a little about the devastating Main Street fires, early architecture, pioneer community builders and more. The tour begins at the Palmer House, 210 N. Allen Avenue at 5:30 p.m. on April 20th.
- Bark in the Park - Run, romp, and play with your favorite canine friend and family at the annual Bark in the Park on April 29th, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Educational and entertaining activities will be going on all day providing a canine and family-friendly event that everyone enjoys! Enter the 2 mile Doggie Dash at 10:00 a.m. Shirts and doggie bandanna will be given to everyone that preregisters for the event.
- Spring Fling Festival – Get ready for a fun filled spring day at Wines of the San Juan’s kick-off event of the season! Come out and enjoy a day of live music, award winning wine, great food, games and art on April 29th, 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. Entry is free, register early to take part in the painting classes.
- Redress: Upcycled Style by Nancy Judd - Artist Nancy Judd’s traveling exhibit, Redress, is on display at the Farmington Museum. This free exhibit features couture fashion and accessories made entirely from recycled items. Nancy Judd’s creations have been exhibited worldwide and accepted into the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution. Exhibit on display through June 2017.
The Farmington Branding Alliance (FBA) consists of local residents, organizations and businesses working together to energize how we live, work, play and stay Farmington. As a group, they have chosen to highlight local events that go above and beyond to energize life journeys through exceptional performances and unique opportunities. Each month, the FBA meets for the Action Team Meeting and votes on the top upcoming events from the community calendar at www.FarmingtonNM.org. Event organizers interested in endorsement need only submit their event to the calendar.