The Farmington Branding Alliance (FBA) has selected the following events as the top events for May 2016. These special events are sure to please visitors and locals and should not be missed!
- Gateway to the Imagination – A National Juried Art Show will open at the Farmington Museum & Visitor Center on May 7 and run until July 9, 2016. This annual exhibit features a variety of artwork including paintings, sculptures, photographs and mixed media from artisans around the country. This year’s show juror is BettyAnn Mocek, Professor of Art and Director of the Ferguson Art Gallery at Concordia University.
- The Farmington Civic Center proudly plays host to Hotel California: A Salute to the Eagles! On May 8, 2016 the timeless music of the Eagles will bring back memories and touch the hearts of multiple generations. If you want to reminisce memories of your youth or introduce your favorite music to your kids, this is the concert for you! Call 505‑599-1148 for tickets and information.
- Be inspired by the colorful and enchanting dances performed at the Spring Mini-Contest Pow Wow. The Farmington Indian Center sponsors this cultural festivity held at the Farmington Museum & Visitor Center on May 14, 2016 that will include gourd dancing and grand entry. It is the perfect way for an active family to enjoy a spring Saturday! For more information or to register to participate, call 505-327-6296.
- The moving and patriotic display of a field full of American flags will be available for viewing May 27 – 30, 2016 at the annual Healing Field. This touching tribute honoring those that have, and do, fight for America’s freedoms will be held at the Farmington Boys & Girls Club football field and is sponsored by the San Juan East Rotary Club. For more information or to sponsor a flag, call 505-860-3843.
- Celebrate Memorial Day weekend right by attending the 30th annual Riverfest in Farmington! This regional favorite has been a staple for outdoor lovers and offers family friendly entertainment such a raft rides, weiner dog races, fun runs, disc golf, live music and much more. It all kicks off the evening of May 27 and runs through Sunday, May 29th, 2016.
- Explore the beauty of the Bisti Badlands by the light of a full moon! The Farmington Museum will lead Full Moon Bisti Hike on Saturday May 21, 2016 providing a unique opportunity for outdoor lovers to see the Bisti hoodoos under the Full Flower Moon. Future hikes are also scheduled for August 18 and October 15. As space is limited for these guided hikes into the Bisti / De-Na-Zin Wilderness, early registration is highly recommended. For details and to register, call 505-599-1400.
The FBA consists of local residents, organizations and businesses working together to energize how we live, work, play and stay Farmington. As a group, they have chosen to highlight events that go above and beyond to energize life journeys through exceptional performances and unique opportunities. Each month, the FBA meets for the Action Team Meeting and votes on the top upcoming events from the community calendar at www.FarmingtonNM.org. Members of the FBA will help promote and spread word about these events. Event organizers interested in endorsement need only submit their event to the calendar.